The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted this has been a couple of months in the making, but since June we've won the Yvette Baker Trophy, the summer holidays have begun, various of our Juniors have gone off to training camps in Scotland (keep an eye out for reports in September!), and lots of our Juniors have just got back from the Scottish 6 Days... so we gave ourselves a holiday too! So Freya is our Junior of the 'summer'! She competes very competently in all sorts of competitions, and did particularly well in one recently, as you'll read in her profile. She is also a member of the Yorkshire Squad, giving her all the tools to achieve those top results!
- When/how did you start orienteering? I’ve been orienteering ever since I was born in the cold and rain and somehow have ended up loving it.
- What’s your best achievement? Probably this Scottish 6 days (just finished), as I ran up to W14, managing a 2nd, 7th and a 3rd, and coming 5th overall!
- What big events have you done? A lot! Including O-ringen, OO cup and Swiss O Week.
- Who’s your main rival? Lyra from Wessex this year and Daisy from WCOC but I also enjoy racing against Anna, Imogen & Alex.
- What training do you do? Hallamshire Harriers athletics, SYO coaching and club night (when I can), YHJS squad and coaching with Nick Lightfoot. I also go orienteering practically every weekend.
- What’s your orienteering goal? I would like to get selected for Interland and JHIs next year and Lagganlia and World Schools the year after.
- What comes to mind when told ‘We’re going orienteering’? What’s the area like and who’s going to be there?
- What other sports/activities do you do? Dancing, Cross Country, Athletics, Drama, Netball and Football.
- What’s your favourite meal? I don’t have a favourite but I do love pasta.
- What’s your orienteering top tip? Stay focussed, Make a plan and have lots of fun!(Without falling in a bog.)