Virtual Orienteering Courses (VOCs) use smartphone technology to enable you to physically go orienteering without there being real controls to find. The Maprun App enables you to explore the outdoors as a family or individual at a time convenient to you. Download the map, choose your route and then run, jog or walk at your own pace to the control points and the app will notifiy you when you reach the correct location!
Safety - Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk. Take care crossing roads, especially on the Urban courses. If you go alone, please let someone know the details. Please be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way. Enjoy!
The map and table below shows the Start locations of all the available courses in the 4 subfolders of the 'UK'>'South Yorkshire' folder on MapRun. Click the course name in the table for a printable PDF of the map.
Pan North and West for even more locations!
'Peak District' folder
|Burbage Moor||Rocky moorland with some wooded areas - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 2.2km
60 & 120mins Score
|Hathersage||Countryside around the village - Ordnance Survey||Email us for the 60, 90 & 120 min Score Map
|Redmires||Grassy Moorland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 2.1km|
'Sheffield Parks' folder
|Graves Park||Park & Woodland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 1.7km
|Limb Valley & Whirlowbrook Hall||Woodland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 1.8km|
|Loxley Common||Heathland with patches of trees - Orienteering Map||White - 1.3km
Yellow - 2.3km
|Millhouses Park||Park, Score goes into Hutcliff Wood - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 1.9km
|Parkwood Springs||Park & Woodland, Score goes into Housing - Orienteering Map
||White - 1.1km
Yellow - 1.8km
'Porter Valley' subfolder
|Bingham Park||Park & Woodland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 1.4km|
|Endcliffe Park||Park & Woodland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 2.0km|
|Forge Dam||Park & Woodland - Orienteering Map||Yellow - 2.1km|
|Porter Valley||Parks, Woodland & Urban - Orienteering Map||60mins Score|
'Sheffield Urbans' folder
|City Centre (2018 - Old Queen's Head)||Urban - Orienteering Map||45mins Score|
|City Centre (2018 - Showroom Cinema)||Urban - Orienteering Map||60mins Outdoor City Score|
|SW Sheffield (2019 - Francis Newton)||Urban - Orienteering Map||60mins Score (2019)|
|SW Sheffield (2020 - Old Grindstone)||Urban - Orienteering Map||60mins Score (2020)|
|Worral (controls on Grit Bins)||Rural streets & fields - OpenOrienteering Map||40mins Grit Bin Score|
'Sheffield Woods' folder
|Tankersley Woods||Woodland - Orienteering Map
||Yellow - 1.8km|
- Make sure your phone has enough charge (GPS can be quite thirsty!), and sleep settings won't close the app/GPS during your run
- You don't need data/WiFi whilst you run - only to download the map before, and to upload your result at the end. Especially for the more rural events, consider downloading the map in the app before you leave home - there might not be data at the start! Your result is saved to your phone, so can be uploaded at any point.
- Ensure you have your sound nice and loud - so you know when you've got to a control
- You could use the map in the app to navigate - it can be useful as it shows your location if you get lost! But if you'd prefer the authentic experience of a real paper map, you can print your own via the right-hand column in the table above
- Start at the Triangle, then go to the controls (either in the fixed 'linear' course order, or in any order if doing a 'score' - see 'Which type of course?' below), and then Finish at the double circles!