Local Evening event at Graves Park
Wed 26th Aug 2020 Start Times 17:00 - 19:00
A lovely evening for our second post lockdown event, results and splits are available on the links above. Hope everyone enjoyed their courses which were expertly planned by Karl. Thank you to all our volunteers and of course the council for letting us hold the event.
Enjoy orienteering in Sheffield's largest park; a mix of runnable deciduous woodland on steep sided valleys and fast parkland. The areas of contour detail and intricately mapped thickets will challenge experienced orienteers.
This event is open to SYO/British Orienteering members only and must be entered in advance.
How to enter
All entries must be made in advance via SYO's entry system. Entries open Friday 21st August and close on Monday 24th August. There is a strict limit on numbers so those wishing to run are encouraged to enter promptly. There will be no entry on the day. Click to view the current Entry List.
The nearest car park is by the Animal Farm, Hemsworth Rd, S8 8LJ. Click here for map link. What3words: attend.cars.whites. This is a pay and display car park. Alternatively you can park at the Charles Ashmore Rd car park or the Pavillions car park and walk through the park.
Terrain & Map
Graves is Sheffield's largest park, offering a surprising variety of terrain and technical challenge with it's steeply sided wooded valleys. The runnable deciduous woodland contains areas of interesting contour detail and intricately mapped thickets.
1:5000 map. Updated by Ian Cooper 2020.
Starts 5pm to 7pm. Please select a 15 minute start block when you enter. Courses close 8pm promptly. If you think you might take a long time, please select an early start block.
To complete your entry you will need to agree to "abide by the Participant Code of Conduct". This can be found here.
Yellow - 2.3km / 55m climb / 12 controls. Technically easy, ideal for younger juniors.
Orange - 2.9km / 95m climb / 16 controls. Medium difficulty.
Green - 3.7km / 120m climb / 20 controls. Technically difficult
Blue - 5.1km / 200m climb / 21 controls. Technically difficult.
SI controls and timing will be used, SIAC enabled.
£5 adults, £3 juniors & students. Pairs / family groups pay for one entry, extra map £1. Dibber hire free but must be ordered in advance.
COVID Guidance for competitors & volunteers
Some key points from the code of conduct:
- You must not take part in any form of orienteering if you or any member of your household have had recent Covid-19 symptoms.
- Minimise contact with people from outside your household before, during and after your run. Practice social distancing at all times, including before and after your run as well as when you are out on your course. Take particular care to keep the required distance from other people in the vicinity of the Start, at download and when passing other competitors or members of the public on narrow paths, going through gates, etc.
- Do not congregate in groups greater than 6 at the event.
- Sanitise your hands before and after your run.
- Do not touch the controls. If using a SIAC dibber hover your hand above the SI unit. If dibbing, just place the dibber in the hole, without touching the box.
- Please be super courteous to any members of the public that you come across before, during or after the event.
Additional Event Information
- Please abide by the out of bounds on the map - they are not marked on the ground
- The steep banks can be very slippy, particularly when wet. Studded O shoes are advised.
- There are public toilets by the cafe but we are unsure of the opening times!
Organiser - Pauline Tryner
Planner - Karl Marshall
Graves park is Sheffield’s largest park and arguably provides the widest variety of orienteering terrain. As well as a good path network and open spaces, there are wooded valleys, steepening at the west, with old mineral workings providing a small area of interesting contour detail.
Non-orienteering attractions include a café and a rare-breeds animal farm.More details about Graves Park...
Safety & risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If a competitor has a pre-existing medical condition that they think should be declared, please complete a medical form at enquiries. The sealed envelope will only be opened in an emergency.
SYO has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser. Read our photography policy.