Sprint / Urban Evening Event at The Edge Campus
Wed 5th Aug 2020 Start Times 17:00 - 19:00
Enjoy sprint / urban orienteering around the The Edge student village and surrounding residential area. The mix of older Victorian buildings, modern accommodation blocks, landscaped gardens and complex walls and pathways will offer a good level of challenge for experienced orienteers. The long course extends down to Endcliffe Park.
This event is open to SYO/British Orienteering members only and must be entered in advance.
How to enter
All entries must be made in advance on Fabian4. Entries open Sat 1st Aug and close on Mon 3rd Aug. There is a strict limit on numbers so those wishing to run are encouraged to enter promptly. There will be no entry on the day.
Starts 5pm to 7pm. Start times are pre-allocated. You should select your start time when you enter. Courses close 7.45pm promptly. If you think you might take a long time, please select an early start time.
To complete your entry you will need to agree to "abide by the Participant Code of Conduct". This can be found here.
Yellow - 1.1km - Technically easy, ideal for younger juniors. No road crossings.
Medium - 2.7km - A good level of technical challenge. Crosses minor roads. Suitable for 11+.
Long - 4.2km - For 16+, a good level of technical challenge, includes road crossings
SI controls and timing will be used, SIAC enabled.
£5 adults, £3 juniors & students. Pairs / family groups pay for one entry, extra map £1. Dibber hire free but must be ordered in advance.
COVID Guidance for competitors & volunteers
Some key points from the code of conduct:
- You must not take part in any form of orienteering if you or any member of your household have had recent Covid-19 symptoms.
- Minimise contact with people from outside your household before, during and after your run. Practice social distancing at all times, including before and after your run as well as when you are out on your course. Take particular care to keep the required distance from other people in the vicinity of the Start, at download and when passing other competitors or members of the public on narrow paths, going through gates, etc.
- Do not congregate in groups greater than 6 at the event.
- Sanitise your hands before and after your run.
- Do not touch the controls. If using a SIAC dibber hover your hand above the SI unit. If dibbing, just place the dibber in the hole, without touching the box.
- Please be super courteous to any members of the public that you come across before, during or after the event.
Organiser - Pauline Tryner
Planners - Alex & Ryan Elliot
The Edge is the main campus in Endcliffe Student Village; it is typical University Campus with a mixture of older buildings and modern accomodation blocks dotted around a grassy sloping site which also includes steps and water. The map also covers some other areas in the village east of the campus, which are mostly older buildings with interlinked gardens and wider grounds.More details about The Edge Campus...
Safety & risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If a competitor has a pre-existing medical condition that they think should be declared, please complete a medical form at enquiries. The sealed envelope will only be opened in an emergency.
SYO has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser. Read our photography policy.