Weekly update - TOC 11 & an event!
TOC 10 - Loxley
TOC 10 will be held at Loxley from 12 noon on Friday 17th July to 12 noon on Saturday 18th July. Thanks in advance to Colin D for planning and hanging controls and Kris for collecting controls.
- Controls will be out for 24 hours. Mini kites will be used. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (5.1k), medium (3.5k) and orange (2.8k).
- Please respect the out of bounds on the map, including the road route to number 11 on the long.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls. Conversely if you are experienced, please don't look at your map until after you start!
- There is a lot of undergrowth but the courses are planned to avoid the worst of it. Please wear full leg cover.
- Control circles are smaller than normal for clarity due to the number of crossing lines.
Other important info
- Car parking is in the Rural Lane car park (nearest postcode S6 4BL) What3words: spins.level.filer (car park).
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- You can train in groups of 6 from different households but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
- Please carry your mobile phone or a whistle.
- Sanitise your hands before and after you run.
Maprun white & yellow - Loxley
We have added a virtual maprun white and yellow for our younger juniors to have a go at while other family members are completing the TOC courses. Link to the Loxley white, here. and the yellow here Please note that the map for Redmires on MaprunF is in the Sheffield Peak District Folder not the parks folder. We are adding more Maprun courses each week. For more information on Maprun and all the different courses on offer, visit our VOC page!
Future TOC dates & Events
We have planned the following TOCs and events through the remainder of July and August. These are still subject to permission.
TOC 11 - Tankersley - 24th/25th July. We need a planner for this one for it to go ahead. Please email Pauline asap.
Local Event - Wed 5th August - the Edge
TOC 12 - Wingfield - 14th/15th August
Local Event - Wed 26th August - Graves Park. We need a planner for this one to go ahead - you will not need to organise. Please email Pauline.
The new academic year JROS calendar is now on sale. Running for 16 months from September 2020 to the end of 2021, this spiral bound A4 calendar has fabulous photos of orienteering scenes including one of the SYO juniors celebrating the YBT win! Key orienteering dates are included and there are spacious boxes to write your own appointments in.
All profits from sales of the calendars go to JROS, who oversee the 4 summer training tours, the Hawkshead weekend and the JIRCs competition. Our juniors benefit enormously from the work they do and they are totally reliant on fundraising. Please support JROS and order your calendar today. Email Nick with your address and transfer £8 via BACS to MR N BARRABLE 20-76-89, 30393010 (preferred option to avoid transaction charges) or order from the CompassSport shop, here. The deadline for ordering is Monday 10th August but early orders are very much appreciated.
Lockdown Orienteering - Junior Competition
There will be a special Junior Lockdown Competition from Fri 17th - Sun 19th July. The Competitions is open to all Juniors, including M & W 20. This time there are 6 separate age categories (with prizes): W12, W16, W20 & M12. M16, M20 , and it would be great to have lots of SYO entries ....... & podium places! There are 14 juniors from SYO currently entered. It's still not too late to enter. Entries cost £6 - late closing date 16th July. More details here.
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. It's a basic core circuit tonight.
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 126.96.36.199 (Nick's) and 188.8.131.52 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details from the Zoom meeting on the eveningb.
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?