Lockdown Update Week 16 incl. TOC 9 & other news!
TOC 9 - Redmires
TOC 9 will be held at Redmires from 12 noon on Friday 10th July to 12 noon on Saturday 11th July. Thanks in advance to Ian for planning and hanging controls and Mark D for collecting controls.
- Controls will be out for 24 hours. Mini kites will be used. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (4.8k), medium (3.9k) and orange (2.5k).
- Please respect the out of bounds on the map.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls. Conversely if you are experienced, please don't look at your map until after you start!
- Just be aware that are wild campers in the woods. Please avoid running straight through their camps.
Other important info
- Car parking is in the little car park by the reservoirs or on Redmires Rd (nearest postcode S10 4QZ) What3words: camps.deeply.unrealistic (car park).
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- You can train in groups of 6 from different housholds but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
- Please carry your mobile phone or a whistle.
- Sanitise your hands before and after you run.
Future TOC dates & venues
17th/18th July Loxley
Maprun yellow - Redmires
We have added a virtual maprun yellow for our younger juniors to have a go at while other family members are completing the TOC courses. Link to the Redmires yellow, here. Please note that the map for Redmires on MaprunF is in the Sheffield Peak District Folder not the parks folder. For more information on Maprun and all the different courses on offer, visit our VOC page!
Return to Orienteering
British Orienteering have announced that we are able to run small orienteering events from 1st August subject to following Covid 19 restrictions. The guidelines are yet to be released but we are now in the process of obtaining permission to hold 2 local events in August.
We will look to run a couple of TOCs over the summer too. Details will be released when permission is obtained.
O Shoes for Sale
Never worn Bold dobs, size 4, £50. Email Amanda.
World Schools Orienteering Championships
The next WSOC will be held in Belgrade, Serbia from 30th June to 6th July 2021. The competition is open to those born between 2003 and 2007. There is a school team competition and a select team competition, for those without a school team. Selections are made by the British Schools Orienteering Association. Those interested in selection must take part in the British Schools Champs on 15th November at Wormley Woods, Enfield and also at the special selection race in March, date and venue to be confirmed.
The new academic year JROS calendar is now on sale. Running for 16 months from September 2020 to the end of 2021, this spiral bound A4 calendar has fabulous photos of orienteering scenes including one of the SYO juniors celebrating the YBT win! Key orienteering dates are included and there are spacious boxes to write your own appointments in.
All profits from sales of the calendars go to JROS, who oversee the 4 summer training tours, the Hawkshead weekend and the JIRCs competition. Our juniors benefit enormously from the work they do and they are totally reliant on fundraising. Please support JROS and order your calendar today. Email Nick with your address and transfer £8 via BACS to MR N BARRABLE 20-76-89, 30393010 (preferred option to avoid transaction charges) or order from the CompassSport shop, here. The deadline for ordering is Monday 10th August but early orders are very much appreciated.
Lockdown Orienteering - Junior Competition
There will be a special Junior Lockdown Competition from Fri 17th - Sun 19th July. The Competitions is open to all Juniors, including M & W 20. This time there are 6 separate age categories (with prizes): W12, W16, W20 & M12. M16, M20 , and it would be great to have lots of SYO entries ....... & podium places! There are 13 juniors from SYO currently entered. Entries cost £5 - closing date 14th July. More details here.
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. It's ladders this week. Normal equipment required and you will need to devise yourslef a mini obstacle course.
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 188.8.131.52 (Nick's) and 184.108.40.206 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details from the Zoom meeting on the eveningb.
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?