Lockdown Update Week 15 incl. TOC 8 & other news!
TOC 8 - Parkwood Springs
TOC 8 will be held at Parkwood Springs from 12 noon on Friday 2nd July to 12 noon on Saturday 3rd July. Huge thanks in advance to Ian for updating the map and Tom for planning and hanging controls and Erica for collecting controls.
- Controls will be out for 24 hours. A mixture of orange & white stickers and mini kites will be used. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (5.2k), medium (3.6k) and orange (2.5k)
- The purple lines on the map are mountain bike tracks. You are not allowed to run along them. You can cross them but please be very careful. Orange course runners should cross the mountain bike tracks on paths.
- The medium and long courses cross roads. Please take care.
- As this is not an event it is the parent's responsibility to decide if your under 16 runs either the medium or long on their own. We strongly recommend that primary age children run the orange if they are not being shadowed.
- Please respect the out of bounds on the map.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls. Conversely if you are experienced, please don't look at your map until after you start!
- Courses have been planned to avoid the worst of the undergrowth, however please be warned that the nettles and brambles are very high at this time of year. Full leg cover should be worn and path routes are advised.
Other important info
- Car parking is on Shirecliffe Rd (nearest postcode S3 9AA) What3words: zips.stops.pushy
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- One person from one household can train with one person from another household but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
- Please carry your mobile phone or a whistle.
- Sanitise your hands before and after you run.
Future TOC dates & venues
10th/11th July Redmires
17th/18th July Loxley
Maprun yellow & white - Parkwood Springs
We have added a virtual maprun white and yellow for our younger juniors to have a go at while other family members are completing the TOC courses. See info below on virtual orienteering courses. Link to Parkwood maprun yellow here. and white here.
For more information on Maprun and all the different courses on offer, visit our VOC page!
Return to Orienteering Events
Unfortunately there is still no news as to when we will be able to put on orienteering events; however the SYO committee are ready to act on any guidance we receive. In the meantime, we hope to continue the weekly TOCs through the remainder of July and August. Future dates and venues to follow once we have permission.
The new academic year JROS calendar is now on sale. Running for 16 months from September 2020 to the end of 2021, this spiral bound A4 calendar has fabulous photos of orienteering scenes including one of the SYO juniors celebrating the YBT win! Key orienteering dates are included and there are spacious boxes to write your own appointments in.
All profits from sales of the calendars go to JROS, who oversee the 4 summer training tours, the Hawkshead weekend and the JIRCs competition. Our juniors benefit enormously from the work they do and they are totally reliant on fundraising. Please support JROS and order your calendar today. Email Nick with your address and transfer £8 via BACS to MR N BARRABLE 20-76-89, 30393010 (preferred option to avoid transaction charges) or order from the CompassSport shop, here. The deadline for ordering is Monday 10th August but early orders are very much appreciated.
Lockdown Orienteering - Junior Competition
There will be a special Junior Lockdown Competition from Fri 17th - Sun 19th July. The Competitions is open to all Juniors, including M & W 20. This time there are 6 separate age categories (with prizes): W12, W16, W20 & M12. M16, M20 , and it would be great to have lots of SYO entries ....... & podium places! More details here.
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. This week is a surpise!
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 188.8.131.52 (Nick's) and 184.108.40.206 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details from the Zoom meeting on the eveningb.
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?