Lockdown Update Week 13 incl. TOC 6 & other news!
TOC 6 - Whirlowbrook Hall & Limb Valley
TOC 6 will be held at Whirlowbrook Hall from 12 noon on Friday 19th June to 12 noon on Saturday 20th June. Huge thanks in advance to Ian for updating the map and collecting controls and Richard for planning and hanging controls.
- Controls (mini blank kites) will be out for 24 hours. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (3.9k), medium (2.6k) and orange (2.4k)
- Distances are shorter than normal as there is a lot of climb.
- If you are running the long & medium course you will need studded shoes because the slopes are really steep and very slippy.
- When crossing the stream please don't put your feet in the water - leap across or use one of the bridges. This is to protect the crayfish.
- Orange course runners should cross the rivers using the marked crossing points.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls. Conversely if you are experienced, please don't look at your map until after you start!
- Please wear full leg cover.
Other important info
- There are 2 car parks at Whirlowbrook Hall or you can park on the crescent at the bottom. Please don't park on the prviate road up to the flats. Nearest postcode S11 9QD. What3words: sculpture.wink.rocket
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- One person from one household can train with one person from another household but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
- Please carry your mobile phone or a whistle.
- Sanitise your hands before and after you run.
Future TOC dates & venues
26th/27th June Graves Park
3rd/4th July Parkwood Springs
10th/11th July Redmires
17th/18th July Loxley
Maprun yellow - Whirlowbrook Hall
We have added a virtual maprun yellow for our younger juniors to have a go at while other family members are completing the TOC courses. See info below on virtual orienteering courses. Link to Whirlow yellow map here.
Virtual Orienteering Courses
Virtual Orienteering Courses (VOCs) use smartphone technology to enable you to physically go orienteering without there being real controls to find. The Maprun App enables you to explore the outdoors as a family or individual at a time convenient to you. Download the map, choose your route and then run, jog or walk at your own pace to the control points and the app will notifiy you when you reach the correct location! Visit our new VOC page, here!
SYO have several Maprun courses for you to try. They use a mixture of normal orienteering maps, OS maps and Open O Map depending on the location. Most of the courses are score courses, where you have a time limit to find as many controls as you can in the time allowed. We have set up 3 folders - Sheffield Parks, Sheffield Urban and Peak District.
The Sheffield Parks folder has lots of new courses. We have added 5 yellow courses in Millhouses Park, Whirlowbrook Hall, Bingham Park, Forge Dam and Graves Park. There are also 2 score courses in Millhouses and Graves. You can also print off a paper map from the website. We hope our younger juniors enjoy them.
For those that already have Maprun installed, there is a new app called MaprunF which supersedes the original Maprun app.
Alongside SYO's Maprun courses there are others provided by different clubs and organisations. In the Derbyshire folder, there is an excellent 2 hour score course around the Great Longstone footpaths (click the peak raid folder); while in the Derwent Valley folder there are lots of easy courses in parks on orienteering maps.
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. This week we're back to basics with a general core session. You will need a mat, weights, chair and cushion.
The next Lockdown competition is the British Champs which will run from Friday 26th to Sunday 28th June. More info here. Enter by Wed 24th June on Fabian4.
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 188.8.131.52 (Nick's) and 184.108.40.206 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details from the Zoom meeting on the eveningb.
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?