Lockdown Update Week 12 incl. TOC 5 & other news!
TOC 5 - Sandall Beat
TOC 5 will be held at Sandall Beat from 12 noon on Friday 12th June to 12 noon on Saturday 13th June. Although it's a bit further away, it's well worth the drive as the wood is lovely and runnable. Please let me know if you can collect controls as I don't fancy a 3rd trip to Doncaster as lovely as it is!
- Controls (mini blank kites) will be out for 24 hours. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (5.4k), medium (3.8k) and orange (2.3k)
- There is a deep uncrossable ditch marked with a purple line down the middle of the map. You can cross where ever a footpath crosses the line - they have been marked with crossing points on the map. Do not try to cross at other points!
- The medium and long courses cross the railway line - please cross using the footbridge.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls. Conversely if you are experienced, please don't look at your map until after you start!
- Although there are very few brambles, there are small areas of bracken and nettles so please wear full leg cover.
Other important info
- Park in the car park at the end of Sandall Beat Rd or if full there is plenty of parking on Sandall Beat Rd alongside the race course. Nearest postcode DN2 6JP. What3words: erase.battle.walks
- Nearest A&E - Thorne Rd, DN2 5LT
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- One person from one household can train with one person from another household but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
- Doncaster council advise you to carry your mobile phone and sanitise your hands before and after you run.
Future TOC dates & venues
19th/ 20th June Whirlowbrook & Limb Valley
26th/27th June Graves Park
3rd/4th July Parkwood Springs
10th/11th July Redmires
17th/18th July Loxley
Virtual Orienteering Courses
Virtual Orienteering Courses (VOCs) use smartphone technology to enable you to physically go orienteering without there being real controls to find. The Maprun App enables you to explore the outdoors as a family or individual at a time convenient to you. Download the map, choose your route and then run, jog or walk at your own pace to the control points and the app will notifiy you when you reach the correct location! Visit our new VOC page, here!
SYO have several Maprun courses for you to try. They use a mixture of normal orienteering maps, OS maps and Open O Map depending on the location. Most of the courses are score courses, where you have a time limit to find as many controls as you can in the time allowed. We have set up 3 folders - Sheffield Parks, Sheffield Urban and Peak District. The Sheffield Parks folder has 2 new Graves Park courses; a 60 minute score suitable for all and a yellow course for our younger juniors. We will be adding to these folders over the next couple of weeks.
For those that already have Maprun installed, there is a new app called MaprunF which supersedes the original Maprun app.
Alongside SYO's Maprun courses there are others provided by different clubs and organisations. In the Derbyshire folder, there is an excellent 2 hour score course around the Great Longstone footpaths (click the peak raid folder); while in the Derwent Valley folder there are lots of easy courses in parks on orienteering maps.
Outdoor City Survey
In 2015 Sheffield launched 'The Outdoor City' strategy. A lot has changed since then and they want to understand how people use our natural and outdoor space, from local parks and green spaces to the Peak District, and to understand what it means to you and your family. Please complete the survey, here. Make sure you add Orienteering to the list of outdoor activities you enjoy!
Members have reported lots of ticks this year in Peak District areas particularly. Please check carefully for ticks after your outdoor exercise!
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. This week the session is called "Throw the Dice". Equipment wise you need a mat, weight, chair and dice.
The last junior only circuit session will be this Monday 15th June at 6pm. Click here for the link and enter passcode 572194. Euan has run these sessions for the past 11 weeks but with other training sessions getting back to normal, he is struggling to fit it into his week. Please join for the final session to say thank you to Euan for his efforts over the past few weeks.
The next Lockdown competition is the British Champs which will run from Friday 26th to Sunday 28th June. More info here. Enter by Wed 24th June on Fabian4.
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 18.104.22.168 (Nick's) and 22.214.171.124 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details from the Zoom meeting on the eveningb.
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?