Lockdown Update Week 11 incl. TOC 4 & other news!
TOC 4 - Tankersley
TOC 4 will be held at Tankersley from 12 noon on Friday 5th June to 12 noon on Saturday 6th June. Thank you in advance to Tony for planning, Pete T for hanging controls and Lucy for collecting them!
- Controls (mini blank kites) will be out for 24 hours. Some might have numbers on - they do not match the codes on the control descriptions.
- Maps are now available on the dedicated TOC page.. Please print the maps yourself
- 3 courses on offer – long (5.1k), medium (3.9k) and orange (2.7)
- Please be very careful crossing the road on the long course and use the marked crossing point.
- The medium shares the same first control as the long but then differs.
- The orange is tricky but there are easier path routes and good attack points. If you are fairly new to orienteering spend time in advance planning your route and choosing your attack point into the controls.
- There is a lot of vegetation, which makes navigation tricky - please wear full leg cover.
Other important info
- Park in the fishing car park through the green gates at the end of Dowland Avenue, Taverner Way junction, High Green. Nearest postcode: S35 4LL. What3words: hoaxes.worldwide.sunshine
- We now have a simple document, where you can upload the time you took. You can also upload your route to RouteGadeget afterwards & comment on our Facebook thread. Links to all on the hub.
Covid 19 / General Health & Safety Warnings
- Only travel with members of your household
- Make sure you stay 2m away from anyone not in your household
- Be really courteous to any member of the public you come across, giving them right of way.
- Go close to the controls but don’t touch them!
- Don't take part if you're experiencing any COVID symptoms
- One person from one household can train with one person from another household but you must stay 2m apart.
- Please note that this is not a British Orienteering insured activity so it is undertaken at your own risk.
- If you go alone, please let someone know the details.
Future TOC dates & venues
12th /13th June Sandall Beat
19th/ 20th June Whirlowbrook & Limb Valley
26th/27th June Graves Park
3rd/4th July Parkwood Springs
10th/11th July Redmires
17th/18th July Loxley
Please let me know if you'd like to plan one.
SYO circuits continue each Thursday at 7pm. Click here for the link and use passcode 1968. This week the session is called "Supersets". Equipment wise you need a mat, weight, chair and cushion. Each exercise will be 75 on / 15 rest so you might want to download the correctly timed play list here.
There is also a junior circuit session lasting approx. 30 mins every Monday at 6pm. Click here for the link and enter passcode 572194.
Both sessions are designed specifically to develop the core strength of runners.
Catching Features Night
SYO Catching Features Night is held every Tuesday from 6-7.30pm. The evening with easy races and gets progressively harder. Each week there are new SYO areas to run on.
Details as follows:
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- Join the Zoom meeting at 6pm for help, coaching, commentary and discussion.
- Server details are 188.8.131.52 (Nick's) and 184.108.40.206 (Martin's). Details of which server will be used for each race on the SYO Facebook page on the day or fget details rom the Zoom meeting.
Despite the cancellation of this year's selection races, selections for JROS and British Talent Camps have been made on the basis of other results and recommendations from coaches. Congratulations to the following SYO juniors:
British Junior Squad Talent Camp Tier 1 - Euan, Jamie, Imogen & Alex C
Lagganlia - Sam T, Conrad & Ciara
Deeside - Max, Will G, Sam C & Matthew
Stockholm - Euan & Alex E
Gothenburg - Dom & Isabelle H
Many of these camps are unlikely to go ahead this summer but it is hoped that virtual alternatives and also weekend camps in the Autumn will be arranged.
Britain's National Orienteering Magazine is edited by SYO's Nick Barrable. CompassSport has been running for 41 years and is subscription only - £35 annual sub for 6 issues. If you're not already a subscriber email Nick with your address and he'll send you a free back issue so you can get a flavour!
SYO Facebook Group
We post lots of daily updates about things going on in the club on our SYO Group page. Please join here.
Not interested any more?