SYO Catching Features - Week 2 Info
Continuing this week SYO will be organising more online virtual orienteering using Catching Features (CF). If you haven't used Catching Features before you can find out more here. There is a free demo version you can download and try, and the full version can be bought with a 40% discount code "SYO2020" until the end of May. The full price is $40 and you get 4 log ins with your license.
Each week we'll have one or two different areas to race on, and a mixture of easy and harder courses to try. On Tuesday evenings we'll have online racing which means you can run against other club members in Multiplayer mode and chat about the courses and how you got on in a Zoom conference. If you can't make it on Tuesday evenings or don't want to race in multiplayer there will still be weekly challenge courses you can do any time in Single Player mode.
At one point we had 18 racers last week - all very exciting! Euan took the victory in Endcliffe Park, while Martin topped the leader board in the harder Canklow race. Please give it a go!
- Try the demo version of Catching Features
- Purchase CF with the discount code
- Set your username and choose which kit to run in
- Join us on Tuesday 19th May from 6pm onwards for SYO Catching Features
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct "Join with IP"
- You may need to wait for your map to download and your race to start.
- Optional Zoom meeting for help and coaching plus commentary of mass start race.
- 6:05pm - Very easy race (Suitable for CF beginners and the less experienced) - Endcliffe Park - server 18.104.22.168 (Martin's)
- 6:25pm - harder course (anyone can join) - Canklow - server 22.214.171.124 (Martin's)
- 6.45pm - hard course mass start (more suitable for those with some Catching Features experience) - Ecclesall East - server 126.96.36.199 (Nick's)
Zoom conference details
- Join Zoom here, from 6pm on Tuesdays to chat about the races, spectate, receive useful tips and info about the night’s races.
- If it asks for a password it's "1968"
- You can leave Zoom running in the background while you play Catching Features or you can join zoom on a separate device and keep your laptop for Catching Features (this worked well in our house!)
- We'll put people on mute, but if you want to ask something please "unmute"
- You can just watch Zoom to see others race online, with race commentary!
- To use SYO kit copy the attached image file (jpg) into the CatchingFeatures\Models folder, and then edit your profile to select that kit
- To make your own kit: rename and edit the image (jpg) file in a paint programme and save it with a new name
- Note that the image is a mirror image of the kit that appears on the avatar
- Send a copy of the file to Pauline to put on the SYO servers.
- If you can’t make Tuesday, the courses will be available afterwards (from Wed) to play on Catching Features in your own time. Last week’s courses are also available on dropbox, here. You will see instructions on how to download the map files.
- You can join the Zoom meeting to watch the event even if you’re not running or run the event without joining Zoom.
- If you need help with setting up Catching Features just ask on Zoom and we'll help you.
- Let us know if you have any questions.
Pauline, Nick & Martin
Not interested any more?