SYO Catching Features Night - Tues 12th May
Starting this week SYO will be organising a series of online virtual orienteering events using Catching Features, a virtual orienteering simulator. If you haven't used Catching Features before you can find out more here: There is a free demo version you can download and try, and the full version can be bought with a 40% discount code "SYO2020" until the end of May. The full price is $40 and you get 4 log ins with your license.
Each week we'll have one or two different areas to race on, and a mixture of easy and harder courses to try. On Tuesday evenings we'll have online racing which means you can run against other club members in Multiplayer mode and chat about the courses and how you got on in a Zoom conference. If you can't make it on Tuesday evenings or don't want to race in multiplayer there will still be weekly challenge courses you can do any time in Single Player mode.
- Try the demo version of Catching Features
- Purchase CF with the discount code
- Set your username and choose which kit to run in
- Join us on Tuesday 12th May from 6pm onwards for SYO Catching Features
- Access events via Multiplayer option in Catching Features direct join with IP
- You may need to wait for your map to download and your race to start.
- Optional zoom meeting for help and coaching plus commentary of mass start race.
- Easy area/courses from about 6.10pm till 6.40pm (Endcliffe Park)
- Harder area/course at 6.45pm onwards (Canklow)
Multiplayer server details
- You won't see the SYO servers in the server box, but type the IP address below into the Direct Join box and click "Join IP" to connect to one of our servers
- 126.96.36.199 (Endcliffe Park, from 6.10pm)
- 188.8.131.52 (harder courses, at 6.45pm)
Zoom conference details
- Join Zoom here, from 6pm on Tuesdays to chat about the races, spectate and receive useful tips.
- If it asks for a password it's "1968"
- You can leave Zoom running in the background while you play Catching Features
- Or just watch Zoom to see others race online, with race commentary from Nick!
- To use SYO kit copy the attached image file (jpg) into the CatchingFeatures\Models folder, and then edit your profile to select that kit
- To make your own kit: rename and edit the image (jpg) file in a paint programme and save it with a new name
- Note that the image is a mirror image of the kit that appears on the avatar
- Send a copy of the file to Pauline to put on the SYO servers.
- If you can’t make Tuesday, the courses will be available afterwards to play in your own time.
- You can join the Zoom meeting to watch the event even if you’re not running or run the event without joining Zoom.
- If you need help with setting up Catching Features just ask on Zoom and we'll help you.
- This week is a trial run so please be patient if things go wrong!
- The race in Canklow will start at 6.45pm. If you miss it you can still join Zoom and the CF server, but will have to wait until around 7pm for a second running of the race
- Beginners / Catching Features Novices / Juniora are allvery welcome – give it a go; it’s great fun!
- Let us know if you have any questions.
Pauline, Nick & Martin
Not interested any more?